Thursday 2 February 2017

Hello Parents!

Today the students started off their morning with gym. Upon arriving back to class, we took up our lesson 1 homework, and I taught them about lesson 2: Transformations. They completed their workbook (P#96-97) in class, and were given a worksheet for homework. The workbook questions are also for homework, if they were not done in class. After math, we moved onto UOI, and I handed out a worksheet, in which we will work on throughout this unit. The students answered the first question (What is Biodiversity?), and then I read them an introduction paragraph, stating information about Biodiversity. Many students appeared confused, so, I will be breaking down this unit to the simplest way possible. I informed the students that were will be a lot of confusing terms and categories in this unit, so they really need to pay attention, so they won’t be lost. I will try my best to keep it as interesting as possible.

After lunch, the students worked on their Speeches, and got their classmates to peer- edit their first paragraph. Students who do not have paragraph 1 complete are now behind, and will have to complete it for homework. Tomorrow, paragraph 2 will be due, so students can make sure they’re ready by having their notes organized.

After that, the students had Music, second break, and then French. Once they came back to the classroom, they filled out their agendas, and then we worked on our new Novel Study. In their groups students discussed their answers for Chapter 1, and then we shared them as a class. We started reading Chapter 2, but had to stop, due to time. Students must finish reading Chapter 2, and should answer the corresponding questions (it is due tomorrow).  

Just a few important notes before I go:
1.       Math homework: p# 96-97 in their workbook AND lesson 2 worksheet.
2.       Novel Study: read Chapter 2, and answer the 4 corresponding questions.
3.       Speeches: the rough draft for paragraph 2 is due tomorrow. Students will have some time to finish it in class, and they will be peer editing each others tomorrow.
4.       Spelling Test (Lesson #19) is TOMORROW! (Words are on the blog!)
5.       Mme. Stella has sent home permission forms for a French trip. Please sign and return these forms and hand in the money as soon as possible, as spaces are limited. These forms are due by Friday, February 10th. Also, there is a French spelling test TOMORROW, and Mme. Stella has asked the students to finish their sentence (they can refer to her blog).
6.       Re-registration packages were sent home last month. If you are interested in registering your child at St. Jude’s Academy again next year (and I hope you are!), please be sure to fill out and send back the packages AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. The deadline for these packages will be February 9th, and then after that date, spaces open up to the public. So, please don’t wait until last minute to make these important decisions!
7.       There will be no soccer practice for the boys soccer team until sometime in March. I have yet to get the final details, but I was told it will be postponed until the field condition is suitable and safe enough for practice.
8.       SJA’s Annual Poems and Speeches Competition is quickly approaching! The grade 5 class will be reciting their speeches in front of the grade 6 class, and the winners from that will go on to the schoolwide competition on Friday, February 24th. The winners from that will go on to face the winners from The Maples on March 1st. I have sent home the outline, rubric and package, so please take a look at it with your child. Students must come to school prepared (with their research and device), and should always bring all of their notes/ work.
9.       DRAs (Developmental Reading Assessment) will be sent home on Thursday,  February 9th, so look out for that!
10.   Thursday, February 16th, we will be celebrating “100 Days of School.”  If you would like to bring in anything that fits the theme of “100,” please let me know!
11.   Lastly, I would like to thank the parents who filled out and returned the Parent- Teacher Communication form so promptly. Based on the your requests, I will either be phoning, emailing, or meeting with you in-person (on the day you put as your first option). For the parents who will be meeting me in-person, your date/ time is confirmed, and I will just make a note in your child’s agenda as a reminder. For the parents who want an email, I will be sending them once I mark the final Unit 6 math test, so those marks can be discussed too. Those parents who would like a phone call, I will begin making my calls around 11am on Saturday, February 4th. If you have plans, and would like to request a specific time, please send me an email, and I will try my best to fit it in. Again, these calls will be as brief as possible, as I’m sure you all have better things to do, than talk to me! Nonetheless, everyone will be hearing from me soon! Thanks again for you cooperation!  

That pretty much sums it up for today. I hope everyone has a wonderful night!

Ms. Ramnarine
Grade 5

St. Jude’s Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment