Thursday 17 November 2016

Good evening, parents!

Although our Grade 5s were on their curling trip for most of the day, we were still able to have a productive day.
We started off by working on our Unit of Inquiry, and learned about Religion and the Incan Gods. They were given an assignment to use the information on these Gods, and create a mask to represent one of them. They were also instructed to include a written component, explaining why they chose to draw specific characteristics, and the meaning behind their logic. I told them to be as creative as possible, and to think outside of the box by using their imagination. A lot of students were able to complete this whole assignment in the allotted class time; however, some students were off task and therefore must complete their assignment as homework.
While this independent assignment was being completed, I was trying my best to individually meet with students to go over their Science Fair project. I was able to conference with a few students, but it appears that I will have to continue with these meetings tomorrow, as more direct attention is necessary. With the whole class as a group, I briefly went over the Science Fair booklet I put together, and explained what each component needed. I told the students to look over the booklet tonight, compare it to the information they already have, and to make notes about what they need more explanations on. This way, I will be able to focus my time on specific questions they may have. Please encourage your children to review the booklet, as they only have 1 week left to prepare for the Science Fair. With that being said, tomorrow I will be sending the Poster Boards home, so your children can start putting it together over the weekend. Next week will be very busy with final assignments and other important things, so I suggest they start creating their displays as soon as possible. Again, if you have any questions/ concerns, please send me an email and I will try my best to reply as quickly as I can.

After the students came back from their curling trip, I let them eat their snack, as they were very hungry because they worked up an appetite! While they ate, I continued to conference with students about the Science Fair, and allowed for them to complete their UOI mask assignment with the few minutes we had left. Then we all blinked and the day was done!

Just a few reminders before I go:

1.       We have our spelling test tomorrow! Lesson 10 in both the red and blue book. Happy studying! J
2.       If UOI mask assignments weren’t completed in class, they are to be done for homework! I’m hoping to put them up on display in the hallway!
3.       The Science Fair is on Thursday, November 24th, and in order to participate, the students MUST have their whole project completed and ready for judging! Parents are welcome to come view our projects on this day between 2:30pm-3/3:30pm.
4.       The December Lunch order form are due on Friday, November 25th.
5.       The basket auction form was sent home again today, and contributions will still be accepted although it says the deadline has passed. Any item associated to our “Game Night” theme is greatly appreciated. If you are unable to purchase an item, a monetary donation is also okay, and an item will be bought in your honour. This gift basket will be auctioned off at the Christmas concert!

6.       Last but not least, tomorrow the students will be given their final assignment for their UOI unit. If they have devices they can bring in, please send it with them tomorrow as it will help with their initial research. This assignment will be due on November 28th, so they will have to work extra hard next week on both the Science Fair project, and this final assignment!

Hope everyone has a good night!

Ms. Ramnarine
Grade 5
St. Jude's Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment