Friday 18 November 2016

Hello, parents!

I apologize for the late post!
I just wanted to say it was nice meeting so many of you during my first week at St. Jude’s, and I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and introduce yourselves. Your kind words are motivating, and I will continue to try to be the best teacher for your children.

As I’m sure you’ve heard, we accomplished a lot today.
The students started the day off with Gym, and then went directly to French. After that, they were stuck with me for the rest of the day!

We had our spelling test after first break, and then we had math. As a class, we marked our homework and explained any questions that were confusing. After working out these mathematical problems on the whiteboard, the students appeared to understand it better after hearing solutions from their peers! I then introduced the new lesson on Adding Decimals, and the students were instructed to complete their textbook work. For homework, they must complete Page #56 and 57, which corresponds to the lesson that was taught in class.

After 2nd break I handed out the Final Summative Project for our Unit of Inquiry on Ancient Civilizations. I went through the whole package with the class, and suggested that they highlighted specific information so it stands out. Students were given the chance to pick their own partners, and then each group of two were set up to pick a civilization. I wrote out 10 different Ancient Civilizations on pieces of paper, put them in a bag, and students were able to blindly pick one. Although some students seemed to be unhappy with their selection, I reminded them that they should be open minded, and still try their best to learn as much as possible. Who knows, maybe after researching and planning, they might grow to love their topic! All students were told to take this summative package home for the weekend, so they could start their research. Parents, please feel free to take a look at this package, and let me know if you have any questions or concerns. The due date for this final summative will be Monday, November 28th, so please encourage your child to complete the necessary steps to ensure that they are making use of the limited timeframe, at home and at school.

I sent the Science Fair poster boards home today, so hopefully your child will be able to start putting their display together with the required information. The Science Fair is on Thursday, November 24th, so that really only gives us a few more days to complete our experiments and put together our displays. While working on this project with your child this weekend, please email me with any questions/ comments, and I will try my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

 Just a reminder that the December Lunch order forms are due on Friday, November 25th.

I hope you all have a wonderful (and productive) weekend! I’m an email away if you need me!

Ms. Ramnarine
Grade 5

St. Jude’s Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment