Monday 28 November 2016

Hello parents!

I must start off with how impressed I was with all of the UOI presentations today! The artifacts and poster boards looked wonderful, and each group’s descriptive explanation of their Ancient Civilization was very informative. I think we all learned many interesting facts about life back then, as well as how it has contributed to our lives today. I will be posted pictures later tonight!
These presentations ran longer than expected, and with the unexpected practice fire alarm, we were unable to squeeze in our math review. Although this may seem unsettling, I do not feel worried, as the test we will have tomorrow is quite easy. I have asked the students to take home their math textbook, as well as their workbook, so they can practice questions we have learned about. Since we take up the answers to their math homework as a whole class, they should have the correct answers in their book (if they have gotten them wrong). By reviewing this, it will give them the opportunity to reflect on questions they may have gotten incorrect the first time, and can try them again. The students should look over all of the lessons covered in unit 4 (decimals).

After our math test tomorrow, we will be tying up loose ends with their Ancient Civilizations unit, and I will be handing back their marked rubrics for their project/ presentation. I will be available to speak with any students who have questions about their marks (although I highly doubt they will be disappointed, since they all did quite well). Once that is finished, we will begin our new UOI lesson on the topic of…. MATTER! This will be a good one, since I will be running the show from the beginning, rather than being tossed in mid-unit. We will have lots of experiments and fun inquiry based opportunities! Can you tell I’m excited about it?! I hope your children are just as excited as I am!

Just a few things before I go:

1.       Tomorrow is our Math test!! (Unit 4- Decimals).
2.       Students must read Chapter 10 in their novel study book (Percy Jackson).
3.       Please sign your child’s spelling test.
4.       Parent-Teacher interview forms are due on Wednesday, November 30th.
5.       The students have a FRENCH test on Friday, December 2nd!
6.       The Science Fair boards and projects can be taken home! Poster Boards left in the classroom by Friday, December 2nd will be thrown out. So please claim them!
7.       The Art Reach Workshop will be on Friday, December 2nd, from 12pm-2pm. Students who are on my list have made a note of it in their agenda.
8.       Our class will be singing, “Santa Claus is coming to town,” at the Christmas concert this year. We will be making time to practice soon! (Get your singing voices ready!) We will also be deciding on what to wear, and the props we should use. I will keep you all posted!
9.       There has been suspected cases of lice at St. Jude’s Academy. I have sent home information about it- please make sure you read over the whole thing.
10.   The MYP will be hosting a bake sale tomorrow and Wednesday! If you’re able to, you can send some change with your child, so they can purchase some yummy treats!
11.   The grade 3 classes are organizing a food and toy drive, and are asking for non-perishable food items, as well as new toys/ books. We will be collecting them from November 30th until December 21st. This time of year can be difficult for many families, so let’s try to help out those who need it!
12.   Last but not least, our class has been showing interest in having a “Secret Santa” gift exchange within our classroom. If you would not like you child to participate, please send me an email, or write a note in their agenda tomorrow. We will begin working out details, and drawing names sometime this week. We are thinking the price limit would be $10, and we will distribute gifts on our last day of school ( Thursday, December 22nd). Again, I will keep you posted!

I think that’s it for now. I hope you all have a wonderful night!

Ms. Ramnarine
Grade 5

St. Jude’s Academy

No comments:

Post a Comment